Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Bunkasai [cultural festival]

 Objective:            To talk about the cultural festival.

Part I. Vocabulary / Pronunciation Practice

competition

/ˌkämpəˈtiSH(ə)n/ n.

- the activity or condition of competing:

"…there is fierce competition between bands"


practice

/ˈpraktəs/ v.

- perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency:

"I need to practice my English"


bills

/bilz/ n.

- a statement of money owed for goods or services supplied:

He paid the hotel bill when he checked out.


objective

/ uhb-jek-tiv / n.

- something that one's efforts or actions are intended to attain or accomplish; purposegoaltarget:

“…the objective of a band competition;


compulsory

/kəmˈpəlsərē/ adj.

required by law or a rule; obligatory:

"…compulsory military service"


acquaintance

/əˈkwāntəns/ n.

- a person one knows slightly, but who is not a close friend:

"…a wide circle of friends and acquaintances"


attendance

/əˈtendəns/ n.

- the action or state of going regularly to or being present at a place or event:

"…my attendance at church was very irregular"


talents

/ˈtalənt/ n.

- natural aptitude or skill:

"…he possesses more talent than any other player"

 

  Part II. Phrases

               I want to…

                              I want to join the competition.

                              I want to eat ice cream.

                              I want to see the festival.

                I need to…

                              I need to practice with the band.

                              I need to wash my clothes.

                              I need to pay the bills.

                I think that…

                              I think that many students enjoyed the festival.

                              I think that the festival’s objective was met.

                              I think that the cultural festival was a success.

 

Part III. Conversation practice

A:              What is the objective of the cultural festival?

M:             The objective was for the students to present their talents to the parents and guests.

R:              Is the festival part of your school curriculum?

M:             Yes, it is. All students must join the festival.

R:              So, it is compulsory for all?

M:             Yes, it is. Attendance was compulsory.

R:              What was your participation in the festival?

M:             My band performed during the festival.

I played the guitar. There are more than ten members in my band.

In the picture, I sent to you. I am in between the tall guy and the boy wearing a white t-shirt.

R:              Were you able to make new friends?      

M:              No, I didn't make new friends because I already know most of them.

R:              Did you enjoy the festival?

M:              Yes, I did.