Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Making Introductions

 

The conference, I attended with my colleague, was about leadership. It was held in the East. My friend introduced me to some of his acquaintances. 


Objective:       Be able to introduce self and others in gatherings

Pronunciation

eat

eight

eat

eight

east

heist

heat

weight

feast

freight

wean

weigh

leash

leisure

Vocabulary

acquaintance

/əˈkwān(t)ns/ n. a person one knows slightly, but who is not a close friend

digitally

/ˈdijədəlē/ adv. by means of digital or computer technology

colleague

/ˈkälēɡ/ n. a person whom one works in a profession or business

terrible

/ˈterəb(ə)l/ adj. extremely or distressingly bad or serious

gracious

/ˈɡrāshəs/ adj. courteous, kind, and pleasant

 

 

Expressions

A. Introducing one’s self

            My name is ___________.

            I am __________.

            I’m ___________

           

B. Introducing someone to someone else

            I’d like you to meet my friend __________.

            I’d like you to meet __________.

            This is my friend __________.

            Do you two know each other?

 

Have you two been introduced?

(Friend’s name), this is (another friend). (another friend), (Friend’s name)

            Ex: Adam, this is Eve. Eve, Adam.

 

            Eve, do you know Adam? 

            Eve, shake hands with Adam.

           

C. Response to someone whom you have just been introduced

Good to meet you.

     Nice to meet you.

     Nice meeting you.

     I’m happy to meet you.

     I am pleased to make your acquaintance.

     It’s a pleasure to have finally met you.

 

D. What to say after you have been introduced.

            I’ve heard so much about you.

            (name) has told me so much about you.

            I’ve been wanting to meet you for some time.

 

A. Introduced to the person whom you have been communicating electronically/digitally.

            We’ve exchanged e-mails; it’s nice to meet you in person.

            So we finally meet face to face.

            I’m excited to meet you in person.

 

B. After being introduced yet you didn’t get the name

            I’m sorry what was your name again?

            I didn’t catch your name. I’m terrible at names.

 

 

Memory Check: Check all those that apply

1. What to say to introduce yourself?

            ___ My name is (your name).

            ___ I am (your name).

            ___ I’m (your name).

            ___ All of the above

 

2. What to say when introducing someone to someone else

            ___ I’d like you to meet my friend __________.

            ___ I’ve never seen anything like it.

___ Do you two know each other?

___ That’s it.

 

3. What to do when you are introduced to someone?

___ Shake hands with the other person

___ Say, I’ll drink to that!

___ It’s a pleasure to have finally met you.

            ___ It’s wonderful!

 

4. What is your response to someone to whom you have just been introduced?

___ Nice meeting you.

___ I’m happy to meet you.

___ I am pleased to make your acquaintance.

___ All of the above

 

5. What to say after being introduced.

            ___ I’ve heard so much about you.

            ___ Fabulous.

            ___ I agree.

            ___ All of the above

 

6. What to say to someone with whom you only have communication electronically/digitally in person?

            ___ We’ve exchanged e-mails; it’s nice to meet you in person.

            ___ So, we finally meet face to face.

            ___ I’m excited to meet you in person.

            ___ I couldn’t agree with you more.

 

 

Conversation Practice

 A. You and your friend are attending a conference. Your friend introduced you to his acquaintances.

 

            A:         (Maru), let me introduce you to an acquaintance of mine.

            B:         That would be nice, thank you.

 

            A:         I’d like you to meet (Rebecca). 

(Rebecca), this is (Maru).

(Maru), (Rebecca).

 

B:         I am pleased to make your acquaintance, (Rebecca).

     C:         I’m happy to meet you too, (Maru).

 

            B:         (A), told me so much about you.

                        I’ve been wanting to meet you for some time.

            C:         Thank you. That’s very nice of you.

           

           

B. Your friend introduced you to someone from the conference but you didn’t catch the name.

           

A:         (Maru), do you know Rebecca? 

            B:         I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name?

 

A:         (Maru), shake hands with Rebecca.

B:         Nice meeting you, Rebecca.

C:         Good to meet you too, Maru.

 

C. You have participated in a group activity and you need to introduce yourself to others.

           

            A:         Welcome to our group discussion.

Let’s introduce ourselves to one another first.

May I ask, Akiko to start?

            B:         Hello, everyone!  I am Akiko, from Japan.

                        I’m glad to meet you all.

                       

C:         I’m sorry what was your name again?

                        I didn’t catch your name. I’m terrible at names.

            B:         My name is Akiko.

                        It’s a pleasure to meet you.

            C:         likewise (Me too). [I am also pleased to meet you too, Akiko]

 

Reading practice

                The conference, I attended with my colleague, was about leadership. It was held in the East. My friend introduced me to some of his acquaintances. I am pleased to meet them but since there are many of them, I was not able to catch some of the names, during the introduction that I need to ask them again. It was embarrassing because I am actually terrible with names. Good thing that they are wonderful and gracious acquaintances. After the conference, eight of our acquaintances, weigh in on the learning as we leisurely eat a lean feast.

 

 

l  What was the conference about?

l  What did your friend do?

l  What did you forget? Why?